T. N. Bowes Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. is synonymous with exceptional service and unparalleled commitment to your comfort. While we’re always here to help with professional service and AC Installation, we also want to relay some helpful DIY tips for managing your air conditioning system.
1. Regular Cleaning: Like any other appliance, regular cleaning prolongs the life of your AC. Also, a clean AC ensures healthy air quality in your home. The filters, coils, and fins require regular upkeep for efficient performance.
2. Changing Filters: The most fundamental maintenance task that enhances the efficiency of your AC is replacing your filters. Clogged, dirty filters obstruct standard airflow and significantly diminish the system’s efficiency. When the regular airflow is obstructed, air bypasses the filter and carries dirt directly into the evaporator coil, hampering its heat-absorbing capacity. By replacing a clogged, dirty filter, you can shave 5% to 15% off your AC’s energy consumption.
3. Coil Maintenance: The AC’s condenser coil and evaporator coil collect dirt over their years of service. A clean filter prevents the evaporator coil from defiling quickly, but the coil will still collect dirt. This grime reduces the coil’s ability to absorb heat. To avoid this issue, check your evaporator coil every year and clean it as necessary.
When it comes to the condenser coil in the outdoor system, it is exposed to the elements and can become quite dirty. You can often see the dirt on the fins without too much trouble. Cleaning this area every fall will help keep the system running smoothly.
4. Be Proactive about Thermostat Settings: During the summer, make use of programmable thermostats for energy savings. Automated thermostat settings save energy when no one is home, and you can return to a cool house.
5. Keep the Surrounding Area Clean: Don’t forget to clean any debris or leaves around your outdoor AC unit. Also, ensure a clearance of about 1-2 feet for adequate airflow around the AC unit.
6. Schedule Regular Maintenance: While DIY care and maintenance for your AC unit can undoubtedly help prolong its life and boost efficiency, nothing replaces the expertise of a trained professional. It’s essential to schedule regular check-ups and maintenance with T. N. Bowes Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. to keep your cooling system at peak performance.
If you notice anything unusual in your AC’s performance, or experience difficulty while carrying out any of these tips, remember to avoid DIY and instead reach out to T. N. Bowes! Efficiency, professionalism, and quality of service are our promises to you.